Wednesday 25 March 2009

Germination not Extermination

It's that time of year when all I seem to is either peer into seed trays, lift lids of propagators or stand with my bottom in the air looking blankly at soil. I've started the journey that is germination...at least that is what it should be as I have already managed to kill off two tomato seedlings by trapping the poor loves between the seed tray and the lid!! Oh dear.

I can't be too long tonight as I promised the beloved husband that I would be in bed before 11pm and it is already quarter past! I have been tryin got do my blog for three days in amongst preparing my planting calendar and looking for houses with big south-west facing gardens, rural views in a nice village with a good community. Oh and not to far to commute, good schools, plenty of room with the option of extending as and when we have more money which we are unlikely to have because anything we have found that fits is £300,000 over budget! Not just a couple of quid over then!

I digress...as usual.

Updates: heated propagator is a roaring success with a 48 hour turnaround for my new and terribly exciting tomato seeds. They've been in, germinated and are out again leaving space for the next victims.


Getting a bit leggy already I know so....I had to buy myself another greenhouse. One of these plastic things with four tiers and a nice, warm fleecy cover for the winter months. It should arrive at work by Friday - I can't wait as it is perfect justification to buy some lovely hardy annual seeds to prepare for the garden. i have Sarah Raven's catalogue which I admit I absolutely adore and if I could I would buy pretty much everything. Quite clearly I'm a sucker for a nice photo!

Other things which are happening - spring onions are finally peeping through after three weeks, which is exciting. I wonder if I will get any this year as I have never, ever had success with spring onions. The sprouts came through quite quicly but are slowly growing so not too leggy which is good. Trouble with them is that I cant recall which are which - some are Noisette and some are Wellington.



The potatoes went in on the 21st March - I won't upload a photo as quite frankly soil isn't that interesting to look at...I decided to go with Tattieman's advice to bung them in all at the same time - let's hope it works!

Not much else going on in the vegetable front so onto flowers...Agapanthus have gone into pots and are steaming ahead - no chance of extermination there methinks! the sweet peas are doing well; I do feel like I am slightly cheating there as I potted on about 30 from a 99p pot of seedlings from the local garden centre but quite frankly I don't have the space or inclination to spend the time on them. I know I could pick and choose the best varieties but I decided that 2009 is not to be a toilet roll extravaganza at Robin the Bobin's garden.













No comments: