Monday 10 August 2009

Back After Three Months!

And what a three months!! Sitting at the desk in my previous job did nothing to encourage me to blog in the evenings; I was still getting the sciatic pain so sitting at the home computer was not appealing so I just didn't! Left the last job in early June - hoorah as it was not really a great role anyway - and went on hols to Switzerland which was just magnificent. Photos to be edited in at a later time.

We were away for two weeks in June and the tomatoes were just in their infancy so our fabulous next door neighbour kindly watered them whilst we were away - we had spent a small fortune on irrigation equipment so all she had to do was literally flick a switch and after half an hour switch it off again. She was great though and watered all the young plants which I had not had a chance to plant out - it certainly helps to have a garden-lover as a neighbour. For two weeks after the hols I enjoyed the luxury of being unemployed and I got a thoroughly well-deserved two weeks of hot, hot and phew goddam it's hot weather. I developed a lovely I-know-its-bad-for-me-but-I-like-it tan just through pottering in the garden during the day; in fact it was so hot that I actually heeded advice and stayed out of the midday sun. I'm neither a mad dog nor an EnglishMAN.

I managed to get my cucumbers in at last - they survived me being away but they really needed to go into larger containers. I chose the walkway past the shed as a perfect place, which would get nice and warm and keep them toasty and happy. I didn't have much success with the cukes last year inside with only three fruits being viable. I was hoping my Long Whites would be better outside this year.

No comments: