Thursday 13 August 2009

Who Needs Leaves???

Looks like my experimental de-leafing is working a treat as the tomatoes on those plants which have had a substantial amount of foliage removed start to ripen!

















Unfortunately one of the plants looked a little blackened on the stem so rather than risk the possibility of blight the plant was quickly removed this morning. I'm still not 100% sure it was blight but there was one black and rotten tomato (removed two days ago) and the stem looked a little iffy HOWEVER it looked perfectly healthy further up the stem. Anyway there was only one decent sized tomato on the stalk so I decided on balance it was worth the loss.




I'm going to cover up the stalk and hope that if there was any blight it won't spread through the roots...there are FAR too many of those to remove and is not really very practical.




Always remember to clean your tools - my secateurs are currently soaking in bleach!

No comments: