Thursday 22 October 2009

I have just had a look at my earlier posts at the beginning of 2009 and it is quite interesting what I said I would do this year and what I have done this year.
  • Plan earlier - yes but I still need to plan even more...with a 4mx20m lottie on my hands I'll be planning til the cows come home (if I was allowed to have them on the plot!).
  • Start sowing earlier and think about staggering the sowing (although this didn't work a jot with broadies as they all ended up cropping together) - staggered crops such as radish, lettuce and beetroot but this still didn't work well; perhaps I need to stagger them further apart as they all ended up cropping at the same time. I think staggering works along as you eat the veg at the appropriate time otherwise it all goes to pot!
  • Feed, feed and feed some more - yes did this and had interesting results. I think I may have damaged my beans via the added manure as they wrinkled badly and didn't crop well however the soil overall looked amazing...did feeding work? Not 100%.
  • Make the brussels bed a bit more firmer - not growing them this year but the PSB is well wedged in.
  • Move the beans from their usual spot - yes.
  • Don't bother with tomatoes outside - waste of time as it ALWAYS rains in July - success story of 2009; tomatoes were bl**dy brilliant especially the outside ones which were much bigger than the indoor ones.
  • Don't bother with aubergines as the weather is never hot enough - yes; it wasn't hot enough and I wouldn't have managed a full-size aubergine.
  • Pick things and don't let them go to seed e.g. radishes growing two foot tall - need a new freezer I think!  Radishes only grew to 1ft tall this year the lettuces managed 2ft.

No comments: