Thursday 22 October 2009

Ruminating about 2009


Outside the trees have started to lose their leaves, the rain has turned into drizzly cold stuff and it is dark when my alarm goes off - autumn is well and truly here!  It is a case of s*d's law isn't it. I get an allotment and the incredible dry spell ends!!!

Overall though 2009 has been a rather decent year in terms of weather; whilst we may not have had the scorchers that we've had every now and then in the past decade it certainly felt a bit more like British weather although I could have done with a nicer July but that is just asking too much I think.  The early part of the growing season was gorgeous - memories of having to water everything everynight - only to be followed by a hideous wet July.  The plants loved it and went potty but it meant everything was out of kilter and subsequently cropped all at once by the end of August/early September.  Given the past three years of blighted tomatoes I was fully expecting the same again and admit I turned to the use of Bordeaux Mixture - whilst not considered 'organic' it certainly saved the entire crop from being decimated unlike the rest of the country which suffered terribly.  Anyway I'm not too concerned as I don't buy organic fruit and veg, I don't buy organic seeds and I have used glysophate, tomorite and slug pellets - I can hardly start worrying about a little use of Bordeaux Mixture.  Now whether or not I try to be organic with Lottie 11a is another matter and one to be perused over the winter...and perhaps in a winter blog when there is little to take photos of in terms of progress.

Successes of 2009
Tomatoes have to be the winner in this category - I estimate that we had over 30kg of tomatoes.  They were all productive to some extent although the best performers were Vanessa F1, Cherokee Purple and Tigerella. I probably wouldn't grow Ananas Noire again as the Cherokee Purples were just as big (quite unexpectedly) and just as, if not more tasty.  I have grown the Beam's Yellow Pear for a good few years and have decided to give them a rest as they can get a bit bland; instead I am going to go for a standard cherry such as Sungold. We will continue to grow tomatoes in the greenhouse but have decided to not have any grow bags in 2010; they are just too unsightly and a faff to water. I think Stan is keen to regain use of his 'Mediterranean' garden.

The rockery. Stan has continued to develop the rockery which he originally built from old paving concrete; this year it has taken on a completely new form, one that is lovely to look at if only by next door's chickens! 

Cucumbers against the shed. This has been a raving success and one that will definitely be repeated in 2010.  The shed obviously absorbs any southern heat and radiates it back onto the cuke plants resulting in an absolute shed-load (!) of fruit. Plan for next year is three different varieties including a true pickler.

Leeks are looking good so far...time and winter will tell.

Shallots Eschallotes Grise were tres bon!  If a little small although I understand that is quite common; they had a very useful hard coating which could be peeled off in one although when they are the size of a cherry that can be quite difficult!

Cutting flowers - my annuals have been great this year and I have supplied the house with a continuous array of flower arrangements. My favourites have been the purple and white dahlia, love lies bleeding (green) and the purple cosmos. 

Disappointments 
Beans.  These looked so promising until they all cropped within a six day period...when we were in Bruges for Stan's 40th birthday! Oh well.  They are now drying (!) on the plants and will be used in casseroles during the winter and for seed next year...interestingly the big black seeds of Black Emporer are big pink seeds...somewhat different to type.

Courgettes. This was my fault as I carried out a mulching experiment which went horribly wrong. I 'think' that the problem occurred with the paper shreddings...I won't be doing that next year but one has to experiment.

The herb bed aka the coffin. Stan built an odd-looking but useful seat opposite the pond which was lovely to sit on whilst having breakfast in the summer mornings but I don't think it receives enough sun to be a herb bed. The invading nasturtiums loved it though.

Early potatoes. What early potatoes??!?!?

There is more to comment on but I will save that for the bestseller :)



No comments: