Monday 19 October 2009

My Naked Plot

Back in the early part of this year I joined two waiting lists for allotments. The reason behind joining? Mainly because I wanted to grow a wider choice of vegetables and big ones at that so things like cabbages, sweetcorn, asparagus, rhubard, etc.  One list was for the allotments closest to where we live and one was for those at the bottom of our road some one and a half miles away or five minutes drive or bicycle (downhill!).  The closest allotments claimed a six month wait and the further away one was one month; it turned out to be about five months for the one further away but here I am now the proud owner of an allotment 11a or lottie for short. Stan is designated deputy tenant because to gain his allotment badge he will be contributing to the 'build and make' element of the project! 


My updated blog title feels like a suitable title for the project and certainly describes the current state of the plot. Before notifying me of its availability the council kindly rotovated my plot (which has its plus points and its negative points) although overall I'm fairly chuffed with it.  There is an argument for not rotovating and digging by hand as in theory the ground is cleared more efficiently that way. However, not rotovating would mean that I would have to spend months digging and not get very much done for the first few years.

Rotovating has quickly cleared the allotment ready for work to commence and by spending a few weeks forking through and lifting noticeable roots, etc, I should be able to start using it practically in the spring.

As you can see from the photo it is a decent size - 125sqm to be precise as it is a half plot (will do me fine thanks).  It is one half of what used to be a wholesize plot but the previous tenant didn't do very much with it and gave it up at the end of the season - lucky for me.  I haven't come across my immediate neighbour as yet but I'm sure there will be someone taking it on fairly quickly as there are already twelve people on the currect waiting list and the council allotment team won't let empty space remain empty for long!

So lottie 11a is relatively well placed although there is likely to be some shade at the far end towards the late afternoon in the summer and probably from midday onwards in the winter - useful for my planning. 


I have fell on my feet somewhat as I have a lovely tap and water trough on the corner of the lottie and, given that hoses are not allowed, it means my little leggies won't get tired from hoofing full watering cans backwards and forwards in the hot (!) summer months.  I only found out that hoses aren't allowed when I received my tenancy agreement today. Amongst other things on the agreement I am not allowed to keep more than 15 chickens, erect an buildings that would be used for anything other that storing my garden tools and I have to keep the paths and allotment well maintained. If you could see some of the other plots you would assume that the latter stipulation is not adhered to particularly well!!!

The quality of the soil is very good and seems to be a reasonable mixture of clay and sand; I squeeze it together and it clumps for a few seconds and then crumbles.  The rotovating has chopped up the majority of whatever vegetation was there which I think includes the dreaded couch grass or Elytrigia repens; this spreads using a vast network of white roots and even the tiniest bit of root can sprout a new plant.  Apparently it is not as bad as mare's tail and we have that at home and I don't think it is actually too bad so fingers crossed I can deal with a little couch here and there.

Next step of the plan to get myself down there with a fork and some bin liners (can't compost couch) and start digging! Allotment Weeding Party here we come...



No comments: