Tuesday 29 April 2008

The Great Outdoors

So the experimental beans have made their journey to the Great Outdoors and are now planted in lovely Reading soil along with some chicken manure pellets. Goodness knows what will happen to them but as I suggested to the brother in charge of the experiment, they will either crop as if they are on steroids or die! So far so good after one night on their own although my dwarf beans (master piece) which also went out last night look decidedly peeved at being outside as opposed to my nice warm downstairs loo. Perhaps they are missing the smell of lavender air freshener?

The trial gutter beetroots also went out last night; whoever claimed it was an easy way to transplant seedlings into the ground was fibbing. The seedlings didn't seem to want to line up in the orderly fashion in which they have been growing in the gutters and instead decided to play hardball and refuse to vacate their cosy home or just aim for a different patch of ground. very frustrating so I ended up forcing the little blighters into the space I had put aside and wondered why on earth did I ever entertain the idea of gutters????

Everything in the greenhouse seems to be okay although I have the feeling they are craving warmer nights; no frosts here but still a bit nippy and I don't think my seedlings are that amused. My annuals, on the other hand, do seem to be thriving although unsurprisingly the elusive cleomes are adhering to their famous inability to germinate on demand and done sweet F A. Everything else looks like it may make it and this just leaves me with the decision on where in the garden are these little seeding-freely blighters going to go!

No comments: