Wednesday 2 April 2008

My Biggest Worry!

Now some brides may say they are worried most about the big moment of saying "I do" or more minor things such as making sure their guests are happy or that the food is nice but not for me these mere insignificant concerns. My biggest worry about the day itself is that no-one will dance...not one single person...not even a single shuffler around a hand bag or a drunken 'frog in a blender' attempt at dancing - no-one!!! With dancing, I generally have visions of school discos where the girls sat around the edge and the boys just gathered having 'a laugh' because after all dancing is for wimps! Stan wanted acoustic at first mainly as a result of listening to a very good band recommended by the venue but I thought too dull and definitely not dancing material. I fancied a live band with a bit of oompha and who could play anything from 'Build me up Buttercup' to 'Wonderwall' and more but that was looking like £1500 minimum - ouch! In the end we went for an English Ceilidh. I emphasise the 'English' as ceilidhs all tend to lumped into the Scottish culture and you end up getting 'oh so you must have Scottish roots' when you mention it to people. An English ceilidh is 'a more riotous and eclectic variation on English Folk, Barn or Country dancing' according to www.webfeet.org and does indeed have roots in Scottish dancing but all the same it is quite different!

I found our ceilidh band using an tried and tested method of finding anything in general - the well used and ubiquitous Googling. The first band looked half decent so I followed them to their website and they looked good, sounded good and seemed to have a great sense of humour which matched my own. Once half the band had arrived home from their annual ski trip, all was confirmed although we have bagsied (remember the word 'bagsy'?) that date we're still going to see them first hand in May...good chance for a dance and a laugh, which is ultimately what we want our wedding to be.

No comments: