Wednesday 23 April 2008

Trials and Tribulations

My brother's initiation of a website/blog of a family seed trial reminded me that I have been slack at writing horticulture-related blogs and instead focusing predominantly on weddings. In reality the garden holds a lot more interest and is something I share with the beloved so it really should hold just as much importance!

So the family B is holding a seed trial akin to those of BBC Gardeners World; it seemed a good idea at the time although I suspect it will descend into anarchy, arguments and skullduggery....or perhaps just a little competitiveness at the very least!

I can't remember for the life of me who is Mr or Miss or Mrs A, B, C or D but all I know is that my beans are doing brilliantly - both varieties! The first lot were a climbing french bean donated by the brother in the family and were called something like 'flumouxed' or 'flaccid' or something beginning with F...possibly. They were black and looked like...well a bean. They popped up from the soil within four days of being planted and have happily shot for the skies (utility room window) ever since. The other, much better (obviously as they were my donation to the trial) variety are called 'Bert's Beans' as they originated from a plant stall somewhere in Berkshire with no label. They should eventually be climbing, long, flat green french beans and were both scrumptious and productive last year. Anyway they are growing fabulously and like the others they are stretching for light and desparately awaiting the final pane of glass being added to the new greenhouse.

The new greenhouse is an interesting event; its been three days now and we're still only half way up with the glass but the intention is to finish it tonight and celebrate with a nice cup of tea.

No comments: