Wednesday 2 April 2008

Photographer Frenzy

Dress done! Venue done! Next biggie...photographer.

Spent ages looking for a good one as it was such a key element - in my opinion photos are the lasting memories of your day because however good your grey cells are at remembering things, you are ultimately going to forget the best bits. When we're old and grey I still want to be able to sit down with my husband, look through our photos and go "Oh yes, remember that".

The prices were frankly astonishing and I do think that wedding photography is a hugely lucrative industry which can be abused at the mercy of brides but I also think that photography is an art and we pay a fortune for wonderful drawings/paintings/sculptures, etc, so why shouldn't we pay for wonderful photos. I also think that as photos are such key reminders of the day itself, it is a lot of pressure for someone to be under to come through with the goods so the happy couple should expect to pay for that pressure.

Anyway, we were happy (!) to pay a reasonable amount although not as much as some and not as less as others (predominantly because I couldn't find a reasonably priced photographer whose work I fell for). There were two things I felt were important in the selection: firstly the portfolio really had to stand out and ideally if I could see an entire album then that had to be consistently, good quality and secondly I needed to click with the photographer. If that person is going to be lurking around all day including taking snaps of me getting ready in my undies I want them to be someone I can be frank with, have a laugh with and generally feel as though they are part of the guest list.

I ended up with a very small selection from which I met two photographers. Both ticked the 'click with' criterium but one stood out as being passionate about their 'art' and that is what won them the business. I won't rave about them too much as I haven't seen the finished article but after the wedding I will be happy to rave/moan etc with names!!!

Job done!

No comments: